17 Interesting Topics For A Dissertation In Economics
Selecting a topic is the most daunting step in the process of writing your dissertation. However, if you know what specific branch of economics you want to explore, it won’t be difficult to come up with an interesting idea for your paper.
The Branches of Economics
Macroeconomics and microeconomics are key branches of the subject. Macroeconomics is mainly focused on the national economy and covers the issues of interest rates, exchange rates, inflation, unemployment, governments, etc. Microeconomics explores narrow topics of pricing, distribution of labor, consumer behavior, etc. You may also explore economic geography or economic sociology in your dissertation, or devote your paper to institutional economics. Regional development is a very interesting branch of economics as well, and it is definitely worth your attention. If you want to develop professionally in employment economics or financial economics, give preference to these branches of the subject and come up with original dissertation topics in these specific niches.
A Mix of Great Dissertation Ideas
- How does local culture influence entrepreneurial behavior and attitudes to running a business?
- How have consumer tastes changed over the last twenty years?
- How are the levels of consumption influenced by interest rates in your country?
- What are the common and different features between American and European unemployment?
- How are economic growth and unemployment connected in your country?
- How does the financial structure of American firms differ from the financial structure of European firms?
- How do the inflows of capital influence emerging economies? What are the causes of capital inflows?
- How does the climate change influence economic development of a country?
- How do families and private contacts help start up firms?
- What is the role of foreign direct investment in the economic development of your country?
- What are the key factors determining corporate debt in your country?
- How do the US innovative firms differ from European innovative firms?
- How do regional development policies differ in different countries?
- Old firms versus new firms: when is it better to start up a new firm instead of applying regional development techniques to improve the qualities of an existing enterprise?
- What are the causes of salary inequalities in different regions of your country?
- Regional development policies in the US versus regional development policies in Europe: which ones are more effective?
- What technological innovations are currently applied in regional development? Pay close attention to technological evolution in this field of economics.